At Drew Family Dentistry, we want to help you keep all of your teeth. Even so, there are times when a tooth extraction is the best option for maintaining your oral health in the long term. At our office in Bend, OR, tooth removal is used to:Anxiety Free Experiences Read Transcript
From that initial extraction, any tooth removal that needs to take place, my goal is to make sure patients do not feel any discomfort. I really work with patients upfront, before we start with anesthetic to ask some questions. If they've had a history of needing more anesthetic, if they've had issues with it wearing off quickly, so I have a better understanding of what types of anesthetic and injection types I can use to make sure that patients do not feel anything. From my experience, if I can keep a patient comfortable they're going to be happy with the appointment at the end of the day. I really strive and make a conscious effort to get patients very comfortable, very numb, especially when we're going to be removing teeth. That's my primary goal, so patients do not feel it. I also implement a lot of surgical techniques to minimize the amount of force that a patient will feel. I do a lot of cutting techniques, surgical techniques that prevent me from having to push, or pull, or have patients feel any discomfort during the appointment, but then additionally, afterwards, when they're healing, the less trauma and the less invasive I can make the surgical appointment or tooth removal for them, the better the recovery is going to be. Then once we're done, I feel very happy and proud that, in addition to taking teeth out, we have the ability to put something back in, which I feel is just as important for patients. To have those discussions upfront, to let patients understand what their options are going to be after we take a tooth out, so they're not learning about what they can do after the fact. We really try and get that education piece across to patients upfront, so they know what their treatment options are before they have a tooth removed. Again, at the end of the day our goal is to make sure that any time we're doing any treatment on a patient, but especially in oral surgery, that they are extremely comfortable.
- Prepare a patient for orthodontic care
- Create better conditions for dental implants
- Remove painful and problematic teeth
Taking out teeth can have real benefits. When it’s in your best interest, you can get this service at Drew Family Dentistry. We offer sedation to keep you comfortable throughout your procedure. Call 541-668-8070 to make an appointment with Dr. Blake Drew.
Understand The Benefits Of Extracting Teeth
Restorative dentistry is a big part of our practice. Oral surgery is, too, and removing teeth can be beneficial on its own or as part of a restorative plan for a particular treatment. We may recommend taking out teeth for one or more reasons:
- Severe Toothache — When a tooth becomes infected, we will treat it with a root canal whenever possible. When the damage is too severe, however, removing and replacing the tooth is the better option.
- Severe Damage — As with a toothache, a bad break or crack may leave a tooth unable to support a dental crown. Again, removing and replacing the tooth can be the best approach for long-term oral health.
- Crowding — Many people have crowded smiles. For some, removing teeth can make it easier to complete orthodontic care to create straighter and healthy smiles.
- Impacted Teeth — When teeth are so crowded that they can’t fully erupt, they are considered impacted. This is common with wisdom teeth, although any tooth can be impacted.
- Multiple Missing Teeth — For patients who are missing several teeth already, taking out the last few remaining teeth can make it easier to get more effective full-arch replacements with dental implants.
Choose A Healthier Smile
Your oral health is more important than any particular tooth or teeth. When teeth become a problem, extracting them can be the best solution for your situation. Dr. Drew has extensive training in this aspect of dental care. He can also offer dental sedation to keep you comfortable during your procedure.
To find out more or to schedule a tooth removal in Bend, OR, call Drew Family Dentistry at 541-668-8070 today.